Friday, April 27, 2012

Crazy Roommate Confrontations

So it seems to have happened again. Why do I always get roommates who lack critical logic and people skills? The situation: My roommate Juliana let me borrow her skirt in November and I guess my hips caused a rip in one of the seams which I promised I would pay to repair. Two weeks ago I let her borrow my smart-trip card to go pick up her computer in Columbia Heights which is notoriously dangerous area(she was planning to walk at night and I was concerned for her safety). I was slightly offended when returned and didn't offer to reimburse me for the usage but I didn't really say anything about it. (I wouldn't have taken the money had she offered :0) So when she sought payment for the repair to her skirt that she sent for repair yesterday (how many months later???)I asked if we could subtract from the amount she used on my smart trip card (which was only $3?!) She told me I should have told her I wanted her to pay me back since I supposedly knew she was trying to save money. When I tried to explain to her my point of view and my feelings about it (that it was a big mis-communication) she wouldn't let me speak and yelled at me - repeating over and over again that I should have told her and proceeded to talk over me when I tried to explain myself. My housemate Eryn heard the entire conversation and came into the room stating that we should both hear each other out (which I agreed to) and proceeded to let Juliana explain her feelings letting her know that I would hear her out. Her response to me was that she had nothing to say and needed to cool down. So, I left her alone for the rest of the night. This morning, she came up to me and told me to call her mother to talk about payment for the skirt. I told her that I wouldn't, that this situation was between me and her and that her mother had nothing to do with it. I also said it was immature for her to ask her mother to talk to me instead of her doing it herself. So, Juliana called her mother, put her on speaker phone and attempted to force me to talk to her - which I refused. I tried to explain to the mother that this disagreement was between Juliana and I, and for us to try and resolve and her mother kept trying to explain to me how immature I was being?? The mother, realizing that I had stopped listening to her began to use racial/sexist slurs at me (which Eryn heard). Eryn, Kat and I had gone to the counselor a couple weeks ago so that we could figure out a way to communicate with Juliana since she exhibited a lot of anti-social behavior towards us. It was decided that since I knew her the longest I should be liaison between her and my other housemates in regards to apartment chores and split payments. (like asking her if she could chip in for apartment toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap - taking turns taking out the trash, etc) It was through these "house chore/split" explanations that I believe Juliana began to resent me for. I tried repeatedly to have an adult, one on one conversation to her so as to not have any resentment or animosity, but she rejected all my attempts. Thank goodness that my roommate Eryn witnessed the whole thing or else I would be in big trouble since Juliana exaggerated what supposedly happened to her mother who then called the resident adviser about my behavior? (wtf???) So at least I have a witness that I attempted to handle the situation as maturely as I could. What I learned: Its bad parenting when you enable your children and not allow them to grow up and fight their own battles!!!

No comments: